>>>>> Monday, May 23, 2005 >>

MP3s of the Week: Shooby & Bingo Gazingo & The Space Lady

Well alright ya'll, another week's gone by and it's my turn again to post the mp3s of the week. Due to the transitory nature of my current digs, this'll be another shortie, but I'm doing my best. My first week back in Illinois was a very good one...got to meet up with a number of old friends, including my podner in skullbloggery, the noiseboy, and his better half. We hit up one of those huge annual radio station record sales and each picked up a nice stack of random LPs for a buck a piece...plus I found an early Fairport Convention platter I didn't have and a nice copy of Young MC's Stone Cold Rhymin' on wax. Hearing that junior high fave for the first time in quite awhile brought back some memories, and I thought to myself: this is what's missing in a lot of contemporary hip hop these days...a sense of humor, an easy-going nature, the art of storytelling, the lack of fear at being labelled "soft." Props to you, Marvin Young.

But I digress.

Your mp3s of the week are brought to you from a compilation called Songs in the Key of Z: The Curious Universe of Outsider Music. Not everything on this collection of musical misfits is mere novelty...some of this stuff I truly love...

To the sidebar! For wonderful works of art by the one and only Shooby Taylor, Bingo Gazingo (with his special robot friend guest), and San Francisco's own Space Lady, with a bizarro cover of the Electric Prunes' gem "I Had Too Much to Dream Last Night"!!! Seriously, go read about these kooky cats!

Not sure if this is still in print or not, but you might try Aquarius....(by the way, these songs are from volume two of this series...haven't heard the first one yet. Have a great week kiddies!


N/P Feist - Let it Die