>>>>> Thursday, May 12, 2005 >>

Take my advice, or else!

While I continue to attempt to wrap my mind around the new Oneida album, I'll offer up a few words on Spoon's new one, Gimme Fiction, which is a pretty easy read in comparison. I should just tell you the simple truth--if you've liked Spoon's last two records, 2001's Girls Can Tell and 2002's Kill the Moonlight, then you're going to enjoy a majority of the new one, too. (Has it really been almost three years since Spoon's last record? Man, time flies when you're going bald, suffering from hipster burnout, and spending all your free time watching the TLC channel.)



But I want to challenge any newcomers to check these guys out. A couple years ago, I convinced my friends Ben and Jen--a married, church-going couple who wished they were the coolest kids on their block--to purchase Kill the Moonlight from their local Circuit City. (Jokes aside, there was no other place to purchase a Spoon album in Decatur, Illinois.) So, they took it home on my sterling recommendation. But they failed to fall head over heels for Britt Daniel's clever lyrics and soulful voice or the surefire aphrodisiac that is his backing rhythm section. Matter of fact, I don't think the CD saw much play at all. Too bad. It's two years later and they're now divorced. (I guess I should feel partially responsible for the split, as I did not lock them in their bedroom and blare that record at full volume. If Spoon can't get a pair of lovers to put aside their differences and fuck like bunnies, well, then the world is doomed.)


So, yeah, if you don't want to end up with your life in total shambles, feeling sexless and stabbed through the heart with two dogs and a worn-out couch to show for it, then you best give this record the time of day. Gimme Fiction isn't as strong as Kill the Moonlight or Girls Can Tell, but it's still a solid record. If I was in to rating albums, I'd probably give it a 7 out of 10. I'm not entirely ready to follow Daniel down a couple of his chosen paths, like the Gary Numan-cum-Ric Ocasek "Was It You?". Missing in action is anything resembling the absolutely perfect walk down Elvis Costello lane that was "Anything You Want", or the houserockin' rhythm & blues of "Something to Look Forward to". And, Gimme Fiction suffers a bit from being fairly mid-tempo throughout. But, Daniel's voice still looks better in tight jeans than anyone else's that I can think of off the top of my head. And Spoon still hasn't lost its ability to absolutely deliver that glowing emotional core that has warmed over their previous best efforts like a jean jacket on a cool autumn night. Some would call that "soul", and I see no reason to disagree. Listen up:

"I Summon You" -- Simply brilliant. I could listen to Jim Eno's drumbeat all day long. It's really the bestest best buddy to the strum of the acoustic guitar. And, I love that subtle, swirling keyboard figure that creeps in and out of the song.

"Sister Jack" -- The classic arena rock number that you've come to expect on your Spoon record. This one features chiming guitars, some lovely hand claps, and the most humorous lyric on the album: "I was in this drop D metal band we called Requiem."

"The Two Sides of Monsieur Valentine" -- Aw, look at our Spoon. All grown up, using big words and a backing string arrangement. It's kinda catchy, too.

You can also peep "I Turn My Camera On" from the band's site or Merge Records. If you like what you hear, pick up the record from whatever record store you fancy--even Circuit City! Act fast and you can get the "bonus" EP, too, which features two songs that you won't find anywhere else and two demos that are already available for download at Spoon's home on the web.