>>>>> Tuesday, May 10, 2005 >>

Puttin' On The Works

While it will be transparent to most of you folks lurking out there in the pseudo-anonymity and geo-placelessness of cyberspace, my upcoming move back to the cornfields of central Illinois is naturally quite significant to me, and not least because it places me firmly within driving distance of my fellow skullblogger, the noiseboy. Increased hangout time with that genius is likely to bring bigger and better and more collaborative posts in the future.

But, for awhile at least, my ability to post at length on a regular basis may be somewhat hampered. I'll do my best, but I'll be relying on the noiseboy to cover my ass during these transitory times.

But I digress. On to today's tunes!


About a month ago I ordered a copy of the self-titled debut album from The Works, a killer new Swedish band, solely because of their close ties to last year's breakout band Dungen. (Lead singer/guitarist Andreas Stellan played bass for them on their last trip to the States, and several Dungen members guest on the Works' debut). Click here for the noiseboy's extended take on the spectacular Dungen record, Ta Det Lugnt, circa September '04.

While I don't find The Works' album to be quite as unique and creative as the Dungen record, it is one hell of an epic ride through the byways of sixties psychedelia. More accessible than Dungen (and not just because the vocals are sung in English), The Works truly live up to their name, piling on every sound effect and psychedelic trick from their mystery bag of goodies, layer upon layer. If you're like me, you'll be hooked from the first track, "Everybody" (think Lennon and McCartney fronting the Electric Prunes, noodling the Peanuts theme, maybe?)...so have a listen, but keep in mind that this is an album best taken as a whole...

The Works -- Everybody
The Works -- Speak Your Mind

Out now on Subliminal Sounds...pick it up at Parasol or Forced Exposure, and visit The Works here.


N/P Bruce Springsteen - Devils & Dust