>>>>> Sunday, June 12, 2005 >>

MP3s of the Week: Beard-Folk Cult Grows Larger



While we're on the topic of favorites of the year-so-far, let me throw out the self-titled album by the peculiar-named Akron/Family. They're not a family--rather, four guys--and they're not from Akron--instead, Brooklyn. (Okay, in fairness, they could be from Akron; their bio simply says they migrated to NYC from "rural America".) Their album blew me away on first listen, and continues to do so with repeated spins. It's layered in captivating sonic textures and diverse and often-times subtle, really a perfect summer record for fans of The Microphones, Iron & Wine, and Sufjan Stevens. The fact that they're labelmates to Devendra Banhart on Michael Gira's Young God Records comes as little surprise. Their folk manifesto endorses an organic, homespun music that seems to blossom in big, beautiful bouquets with but a drop of rain. Hear for yourself (in the sidebar to the right).

Oh, how I'm a sucker for the ballad of any and all varieties--traditional, power, period, "thin man", and acoustic. It gets no better than "I'll Be on the Water":

Thinking of you
there's lightning bolts in my chest.
I know you know
I think our love's the best.
If you have to stay
I'll be on the water
catching the next wave.
You can meet me where it breaks.

Couple the lyrics with the simple, walking folk guitar line (very John Fahey as simpleton) and the washed-out electronics, and you have the making of a woozy wonder of a love song.

But, if you like your folk of the Animal Collective variety, check out "Running, Returning", a stunning, percussive number with an interesting background vocal arrangement. Just when you think things can't get more out-of-this-world, we hit the mellow, acoustic bridge which is as gentle as a kitten awaking from a midday nap. Then, cue the Palace Music influence as we head into the homestretch.

Last, but not least, is "Afford". I really could have chose just about any song off this album to wrap up this post. But, I plucked "Afford" because it really plays up the quietness that Akron/Family are capable of. They're the only contemporaries of Sam Beam that I've found to be successful with music so still and vulnerable.

They'll be playing a string of dates along the eastern seaboard in mid-July. I've read that their live show is to die for. Read more about Akron/Family here. But not here.